Tuesday, August 11, 2026

"A Hell Of A Day"


 Nick Wagoner, “This was a practice with QB Brock Purdy in total control. Not counting him spiking the ball once in two-minute, I had Purdy at 21-of-27 on the day with no interceptions and at least three for sure touchdowns with two or three others that could have gone for one. In one sequence during a move the ball period, Purdy dropped one over and between three defenders to rookie WR De'Zhaun Stribling, hitting him in stride for what likely would have gone for a long touchdown. He then fired a strike to TE Jake Tonges deep down the middle for another big gain as it layered over another defender, fired a short one to WR Deebo Samuel for another chunk and then hit WR Demarcus Robinson on a busted coverage for a touchdown. Even Shanahan had to give Purdy his props after, noting that he had 'a hell of a day'.”

19 comments:

  1. If this defense performs this team is going a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting reports that the Titans were able to run between the tackles...geez

      Delete
  2. I have heard/read a couple of reports that said a number of Purdy's completions were after he had been touched (sacked) that is not a criticism of Purdy but of the O line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OL is above average. They've got an elite LT, an elite RT with 3 plus level starters. 60% of their OL is quality which is all you can ask for in the NFL.

      Delete
    2. Average I could get behind... above average I just cant.
      The fact the they were not trusted to pick up 2 yards on the ground in short yardage situations tells me a lot.
      Personally I believe this is a well below average line that is made to look much better due to the scheme and playcalling than they actually are.
      It's been reported throughout camp by multiple sources that they have struggled against the 49ers Dline. And it was reported by multiple reports that they Titans were whipping their O line repeatedly.

      Delete
    3. You're entitled to your opinion Shoup but Brandon Thorn just did a composite ranking of OL's and the 49ers ranked 11th. Not a whole lot of NFL teams have 3 plus level starters on their OL and the 49ers certainly do!

      Delete
    4. PFF has the Niners O-line ranked 10 which surprises me. Six out of the top ten O-lines went to the playoffs.

      Delete
    5. If PFF has 'em at 10 and Brandon Thorn (who I respect on OL) has them 11th, then it leans towards more fact than fiction.

      Delete
  3. Matt Lively says De'Zhaun Stribling stood out during the joint practice:

    “To me, he had the most impressive practice of his training camp thus far. I thought he looked like the best wide receiver out there today, honestly. He caught a couple touchdown passes. He’s making contested catches against a different defense which I think we were all excited to see. His hands are great. He can get to a spot and catch a ball, but he was having a hard time separating and today I saw him separate against that Titans defense, which was nice to see. I walked away really impressed with De'Zhaun Stribling.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stribling has greatness written all over him. Hope he proves out.

      Delete
    2. Stay humble, keep the nose to the grindstone and he'll become Purdy's #1 WR at some point.

      Delete
  4. Brock Purdy on Demarcus Robinson:

    “D-Rob had a great day. I think he’s just one of the best receivers that I’ve played with in terms of the one-on-one matchup and his feel for the game. He’s got a lot of savviness to him. He’s got length. This offseason, watching film on him, it’s like, all right, we can give this guy more ops and have him be a huge part of our offense. He’s had a great camp. I’m really excited for him.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robinson had 6 receptions for 111 yards against the reigning SB champions Eagles in the playoffs. I have little doubt that Demarcus can help the 49ers in 2026.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had higher expectations for him last season. Maybe this is the year he asserts himself. I mean I thought he brought an automatic out route down by endzone for TD's but it just never manifested itself.

      Delete
  6. Yes, DR could have done better on many levels. But, he had a similar build to Jennings and JJ rarely left the field thereby only giving cameo appearances for Robinson. Again, his game against the Eagles more than validated his signing with the 49ers. Purdy's comments about DR are valid, imho.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most EPA/play lost to 3rd down throw aways in 2025

    Flacco
    Russell Wilson
    Caleb Williams
    Shedeur Sanders
    Matthew Stafford

    ReplyDelete
  8. https://trenchwarfare.substack.com/p/how-much-better-is-left-tackle-than

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 49ers are signing former Raiders RB Zamir White, per Schefter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The team waived WR Junior Bergen, P Jack Bouwmeester and waived/injured DL K.J. Henry. They signed CB Eli Apple and DL Xavier Thomas.

    ReplyDelete

Football Insights

 Brandon Thorn has the 49ers OL ranked 11th, PFF 10th. With Football Insights 9th ranking it seems everyone is on the same page except for s...