Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
The postseason is a year away. Win or lose the only thing they're playing for today is pride. Another opportunity to advertise your wo...
-
Good morning everyone and welcome to day 3 of the NFL draft. Let's take a look at who the 49ers were able to add on day 2: Drake Jacks...
-
Rehiring Robert Saleh. Signing Mac Jones as QB2. Switching from Moody to Eddy Pineiro. Aside from the draft and the starters designated t...

Hopefully Colby will continue to improve so they can stick with their original plan to develop Willis at center. I will with hold my opinion of how well they are playing until I see them create lanes versus the Broncos and Seahawks in weeks 3 and 4
ReplyDelete😂Willis' concussion allowed Colby to nudge him out at LG. Very close competition and I'm happy he pushed Colby over the hump. As far as creating lanes against the Broncos or Seahawks for validation when they just ran rough shot over the paper champions, sporting one of the most formidable defensive lines in the league is comical, even for you OldCoach!!
DeleteNow that Colby had a good game that can be a narrative, but we all saw what happened in TC. Colby "won" the competition because the other options were worse when given the opportunity to take it.
DeleteLike coach said, we need Colby to show he can do it against good DL that are ready to play.
If the 49ers performance had happened at Levis or Sofi I would be more confident in the O lines ability but we just do not yet know how much of the Rams game was a reflection of the Aussie travel effect. I just believe that the Bronco's and Seahawks game will be a better measure.
DeleteWe know the same starters are on the OL that have been here for years, except for LG and he's in year 2. We know we've got a true X that opens up the middle of the field, and we saw them run the Rams out of their Nickel Defense with IZ and into their Base Defense and then we attacked their DE's with the OZ. So, I'm not really sure what the relevance of WHERE they played. Can they stack great performances week after week no matter where they play or who they play against? I don't see why not....
DeleteYeah, for me this is a case of two things can be true at once. It's possible that Colby regresses from his week 1 performance AND the OL is as good or better than it was last year. The benefit of the LG position being the main problem last year, I guess!
DeleteOf course if Colby continues to play at or better than he showed in week 1, the OL has the chance to be really good/ great. TW and McKivitz imo are one of the best OT tandems in the NFL, and I still believe that a fully healthy Puni this year will give us a really strong right side of the OL. And Brendel when healthy is also perfectly fine at center.
Razor,
DeleteBy the aussie effect I didn't mean where they played. I meant how each team handled travel. I believe the 49ers plan of arriving early was brilliant and the Rams plan of arriving 24 hours before the game was idiotic. I don't think we will be able to truly evaluate the Rams until week 3 at the earliest. imho
OldCoach, weren't you on team Rams' travel plans prior to the game?
DeleteNo. I did not know which plan would work out better and obviously the 49ers way was superior
DeleteAverage distance to gain on third down in Week 1:
ReplyDelete1. 49ers – 3.17 yds (12 plays)
2. Chiefs – 4.53 yds (17 plays)
3. Bengals – 4.93 yds (14 plays)
4. Bears – 5.21 yds (14 plays)
5. Buccaneers – 5.50 yds (10 plays)
1st down efficiency is the key!!
The win against the Rams was nice because of all the hype placed on the Rams entering the season. But, one game does not a season make. I'll wait to see how these stats hold up throughout the year and hopefully February.
ReplyDeleteOsa Odighizuwa, 86.4 was the 49ers highest graded player.
DeleteOffense is usually sputtering out of the gate while defense is ahead. Bodes well for November unless you're expecting them to regress or go down with an injury.
ReplyDeleteI'm not expecting anything after just one game. And that's my point. Whether it's over or under hype, not one of us can predict the outcome of the season after one game. Too many variables over a full season.
ReplyDeleteNot predicting the outcome of the season. I'm predicting the offensive line if it stays healthy will be one of the top ones in the national football league.
ReplyDeleteSure, that would be good. We can both review this near season' end.
ReplyDeleteWe will review week by week looking for improvement each week as cohesion expands.
DeleteCool. Now that's something I can expect 🙂
DeleteI can not remember a season where old coach wasn’t concerned with the O line even those years where they were highly ranked.
DeleteFelix,
DeleteI will admit I have been concerned about the play of the o line since the SB year but previous to that I was pretty happy with the O line play
Morris could be a case of right place, right time and might be the best secondary schemer we've had here since Victor Fangio!!!!
ReplyDeleteNot to be a contrarian but, IMO, the 9ers need another edge rusher who can create pressure on the QB and keep offenses from simply focusing on Bosa! Keion White, if he's finally healthy and ready to start, should be capable of doing filling that need.
ReplyDeleteMykel Williams is eligible to start practicing with the team after Week 2, which opens a 21-day window for the 9ers to evaluate him before activating him to the 53-man roster.
QUESTION: Does anyone believe JL will trade for another edge rusher?
If so, who?
Oh God here we go again. Black injured his groin at practice today
ReplyDeleteDoggonit!
ReplyDeleteLimiting Black due to tightness in groin. Again, proactive maintenance which allows him to be ready for Sunday.
ReplyDeleteThat's good news. Will there be an on the field Jordan James sighting?
ReplyDeleteJosh "Hoss" Allen and the Bills pulled-up on the Lions tonight at their new house. The Bills will win games this season because of Allen. On the flip side, they will lose games because of Allen as well.
ReplyDeleteBills defense isn't good.
Delete