Thursday, July 30, 2026

He's Back!


 




















Free agent WR Deebo Samuel is signing back with the 49ers, sources say. The former Commanders and SF pass-catcher returns where it all began.

1-year, up to $7M in a deal done by Tory Dandy of Athletes First.

25 comments:

  1. Happy to see him back. Not sure how he fits in to the current offense, but still capable of making big plays with ball in his hands.

    A pity it likely comes at the expense of Pearsall. Have to think this means he'll be headed to surgery and IR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely but as the Dr. pointed out, there's nothing to lose by waiting until you get into August to give it that extra time to heal on its own.

      Deebo doesn't accentuate Purdy's skillset, so I hope they figure out a defined role for him that doesn't compromise the offense.

      Delete
    2. Scooter / Razor
      To add to your comments on Deebo.I looked at tape and stats of his play at Washington last year.
      * He started the season, through the first 5 weeks, handling jet sweeps, screens, and short targets, averaging 17.7 PPR fantasy points and 7.6 targets per game.
      * Later in the season, when WR Terry McLaurin was out, his numbers drop to 9.1 PPR points per game and struggled with downfield passing.
      * His average depth of target was 5.5 yards and relied on yards after the catch (466 yards after catch) rather than deep routes
      and was more a luxury short-area piece than a downfield game-changer. Natural aging for a 30 years old?
      * He was an effective kick returner, averaging 30.1 yards per return on 15 attempts.
      Is he worth up to $7 million for 2026????

      Delete
  2. He looks like he is in the best shape he has been in in a long time. He should be very motivated. He is a very good kick returner> I wonder if he could return punts. He is a good run blocker. I think he will fill Jennings role

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this signing! Ya sure maybe he lost a step but he plays with passion. I think that’s contagious. I still remember watching him shed tears when they lost either the NFC championship game (can’t remember which year) I love players that love to win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One year at 7mil is a good deal. Welcome back Deebo and level up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's a $3M deal with incentives built in to where he could hit $7M.

      Delete
  5. I'd like to see Deebo's role as a short-yardage, middle of the field Z who also handles KR duties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see them give him a shot at PR duties. From what I have been hearing no one has looked all that good returning punts in the first 3 practices.

      Delete
  6. Deebo signing means that Pearsall's season is over or Kirk is not coming back sooner.

    I don't like this deal. $7M is too rich for Deebo. Hopefully this is a $3M - 5M deal with guarantees.

    Aiyuk is who he is now because of what he saw Deebo do (contract-wise). I'm afraid of what Deebo's presence and influence will do to young WRs like Stribling, Watkins and Cowing.

    I hope I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean about how Deebo handled his contract. I hate the new “trade me” tactic to get what you want.

      However, imho, I think Deebo will have a positive effect on the WR group. Both him and Greenlaw seemed eager to come back to the Niners. I see that as a a reminder that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

      I see Deebo taking a leadership role and letting these young Wide receivers know to not take the culture and wide receiver friendly system for granted.

      But hey, it’s training camp and at this time of year I akways tend to be over confident and we’re going undefeated and winning the Super Bowl lol.

      Delete
  7. Niners could start 5 skill position players (Mike Evans, Deebo Samuel, Christian McCaffrey, Geroge Kittle and Kyle Juszczyk) age 30 or older. Only teams in Super Bowl era to start 5 non-QB skill position players age 30 or older in same game:

    2004 Bucs 1 game (Tim Brown, Charlie Garner, Mike Alstott, Joey Galloway, Ken Dilger)
    2003 Broncos 1 game (Mike Anderson, Ed McCaffrey, Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe, Dwayne Carswell)
    1992 Washington 2 games (Gary Clark, Art Monk, Earnest Byner, Don Warren, Terry Orr)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rams last seven games

    Week 12: Packers (Wednesday)
    Week 13: Chiefs (TNF)
    Week 14: at 49ers
    Week 15: Cowboys
    Week 16: at Seahawks (Christmas)
    Week 17: at Buccaneers (TBD)
    Week 18: Seahawks (TBD)

    Seahawks last seven games:

    Week 12: at 49ers
    Week 13: Cowboys (MNF)
    Week 14: Giants
    Week 15: at Eagles (Saturday)
    Week 16: Rams (Christmas)
    Week 17: at Panthers
    Week 18: at Rams (TBD)

    Niners last seven games.

    Week 12 Seahawks
    Week 13 at Giants
    Week 14 Rams
    Week 15 at Chargers
    Week 16 at Chiefs
    Week 17 Eagles
    Week 18 at Cardinals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am already looking at the end of the season. Boy it is going to be very interesting in the Western Division.

      Delete
    2. UC,
      Any early predictions on the 49ers 2026 win/loss record?
      I'll go 13-4. That of course includes barring any major injury.

      Delete
    3. This offense is going to be explosive, the Niners must stop the run. 13-4 is definitely a very good possibility, I can go with that.

      Delete
  9. Hopefully, the 49ers can make a strong push for Vea. He could help the 49ers overall 2025 defensive ranking of #20 get closer to a 12-14 ranking. A one year deal for Vita could give the 49ers a deep playoff run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This 2025 highlight reel of Deebo was posted over on Niners Nation. After viewing it I have a lot more confidence that Deebo still has gas in the tank and can hand out some punishment. Opposing defenses will definitely have to take account of him.

    https://youtu.be/p_y09PXE1nQ?si=-UIU0S09uTkViKc3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as Shanahan doesn't try to make him the focal point and uses him primarily in short yardage situations.

      Delete
  11. Niners have signed the following players to 1yr deals :

    TE Josiah Deguara
    WR Trenton Irwin

    Also waived the following players:

    DB Derrick Canteen
    TE Tanner McLachlan (waived/injured)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am still of the belief that Brock throws the ball to whomever he sees as open and KS tries to do the best for the team. Now, did Deebo help the perception by openly demanding the ball and then dropping it at crucial moments........ I think he's gotten over that phase and if he trends towards it again, I wouldn't be surprised if several guys including Evans snap him back to reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comment above was meant as a response to Razor regarding Deebo. Thought I had it placed correctly.

      Delete
  13. Besides the Deebo highlight, here are some stats from the 2025 season.

    Deebo caught the most passes for the Commanders last year with 72 receptions for 727 yards and 5TD. He dropped 6 passes which was a 6.1% rate that put him about middle of the road when compared with other top receivers.

    ReplyDelete

Nick's Notes

First padded practice:  - Coach Kyle Shanahan came out on the field before team drills today at roughly 10:45 and staying through the end. A...